Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Competitions
 Duffrods Competition August - October
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Site Administrator

Australia
260 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  21:50:18  Show Profile Send Admin a Private Message
The Duffrods comp is up again

Please remember the following rules.

1. Members will still need to enter with a detailed report.

2. At the end of the competition the members will vote for the best entry from each respective site, ie AusBream and AusBbass.

3. Steve will then decide from the voted "best" of each site who will win the prize (rod).

One rod only is still offered each time between AusBream & AusBass sites.

Bass1
Ausbass Member

2204 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  14:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Bass1's Homepage Send Bass1 a Private Message
The Wait

The desire to tie on a surface lure and lob it at some gnarly bankside structure always peaks on the 1st of September. The self imposed closed season that allows Bass and Estuary Perch to go about their business undisturbed felt very very long, the warmer than usual winter temps only added tension to ‘The Wait’.

Mike, Jeff and I don’t really plan to fish the start of the season, it is a given, no plan is required. So as with seasons gone, we met as and where we do, readied gear and launched. We cracked a beer and drank a salute the start of our season; it was nice to be back on the water, talking fish, sharing our hopes and plans for the season ahead.

As often happens with fishing, expectations exceeded reality, the fish proved tough and as the light of the afternoon faded so did our hope of early season bass. It was almost dark when a tubby little shallow diver was clobbered half way back to the canoe.

It did not hit like a bass, fight like a bass nor indeed look like a bass, my mid fight call of flathead was right – flattie! Normally I am happy with by catch but…

We settled into a rhythm of lure and retrieval variations, searching for the winning combo. I was in the midst of a beer renewal when my stationary lure was boofed hard…damn missed chance (fresh beer though). A quick recast and more subtle retrieve with more pauses paid off with another solid surface boof, this time I was connected.

We don’t consider EP’s by catch, we often put a bet each way by selecting from a small group of lures that will take both species. In the grey area that contains both bass and EP’s it makes sense.

It went a little quite after that, cold air sank onto the river and we started moving around searching for more fish. After a few more boofs and a few missed fished we found a small group of EP’s along a reeded bank and connected with a few better specimens. Mike was all smiles with his first for the season.

As is often the case with Perch, they hang in schools year round, so it was no surprise when we nailed a few more in relatively quick succession, all off the top with the pulse raising boofs that tells them apart form their cousins the bass. The sound of an EP boof is totally different to that from a bass.

The bass manage to elude us so and so the hunt for our first bass for the season continues but…..The Wait is over.

Steve

Edited by - Bass1 on 11/09/2013 14:52:46
Go to Top of Page

JMo
Ausbass Member

232 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2013 :  10:08:00  Show Profile Send JMo a Private Message
Ticks, roots, and PBs

They say a picture paints a thousand words, so I'm not going to prattle on. That said, a recent trip with my beloved brother reinforced many things, including the awe inspiring places bass fishing takes you. Unfortunately, it also highlighted the impact we've had on so many of our rivers and streams in such a short space of time. This trip, into remote wilderness, led us to tick infestations (well, one or two anyway), hearing rare Sooty Owls calling, seeing a Sea Eagle slowly dive bomb a duck to death, the most colourful Water Dragons I've seen, numerous inquisitive platypus and shy ring-tailed possum encounters, root structure from dense forest like I've never before noticed and, some tough, challenging but incredibly rewarding fishing!!

My bro's PB EP of 48FL:

My third biggest EP of 46FL:

Note the amazing riparian vegetation literally gaping into the river, creating awesome fish holding structure:

No sand slugs here - the complex roots of a seemingly infinite number of native shrubs and trees ensure a super healthy, robust and incredibly diverse ecosystem, all interlinked...

...with things like 52FL PB wild river bass, seen subtly rising in the edge of a riffle, and subsequently taking a well presented cicada fizzer twice before being hooked, fought and released by a stunned, stoked and humbled individual!!

Gettin back to our roots:

(Camp in the wilderness. Notice the roots holding the bank clear of the water! and so many trees - if one goes in the drink due to slow evolution of the river, there's thousands to replace them)

Dragons:

A lovely fat 42FL

After a quick snap with wet hands, it's the best feeling in the world seeing these wild fish bite down on your thumb, then kick off back into the depths...

Wildriver fishing at it's best!

A typical casting scenario. The target, of course, is the back of the tree, as close to the bank as possible (in theory!)

For the last two days, which involved much paddling and motor work (electric running low by now), we ended up chasing bream and EPs in the mornings...

...and bass by afternoon/evening. The upstream journey involved many kilometers and portages.

Two dropped beasts, a baby and a 37FL to close things out in the rain:

The bream weren't huge, but great fun, including a few double hookups!

Packed and on the way home...

...with a few final fish thrown in for good measure:

...left us wondering a few things. How are we to go about our everyday lives again? What are the chances of this relatively pristine system being impacted by clearing, farming, damming or rapid climate change? As my bro so simply pointed out. We need very few things in life - clean air to breathe, clean water to drink and clean, robust and healthy soils for sustainable food production. Why then, do we as society, including Governments, accept impacts on such areas over time as "necessary progress"?

Even in rivers still producing some decent fish for now, we've rapidly degraded many of our eastern flowing rivers, some seemingly to the point of no return. The real problem is how to instigate change? While most of us are happy to forget that fully functioning ecosystems are the real world, and what has sustained life on earth for thousands and millions of years is that very fact, how is the necessary, societal change really possible?

This was a trip of quality, not quantity. 480km's by car, 25+ km's by canoe. Fishing minimum 12 hours a day for 3 days. Quality time with loved one. Quality time with nature. Quality PBs!

It only took 20 years to land that PB, and what a place it came from I remember as a teenager starting out on bass, it was our dream to have what we have and to do what we did over a weekend through Tuesday! Privileged really.

And the canoe setup. The camp foam mats are the bomb. keeps everything up off the bottom, out of water and protecting the canoe. Just have a car washing sponge for soaking up the water after the obligatory wet portages and entry/exits. It's also handy for the wipe down at the end of a trip. I round it out with an 80 litre tub for storage/gear protection in wet weather, a small slot-over-rail tinny storage compartment and for the eleccy when being used, a home made simple but sturdy motor bracket (hardwood and stainless) and 120AH battery. Feel free to suggest how you guys have yours set up if there are better/more practical ideas out there.

Note: I'm going to patent my new invention. My teva style sandals were slipping all over the place on the rocks during portages. I made wading shoe booties by putting my wool socks over the sandals - hey presto - incredible grip with the added bonus of some thermal insulation even when the wool socks are saturated! You learn something new every trip!

Here's another pick of the PB Absolutely stoked!

Hats off to those that actively work or otherwise contribute to river/catchment health and/or rehab. I'm certainly going to be doing more in that regard.

Tight lines.
Jmo

Go to Top of Page

Bloomyaway
Ausbass Member

189 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2013 :  17:47:14  Show Profile Send Bloomyaway a Private Message
Waiting for the 3rd (Or - Bass Bloopers)

They always say that bad things come in three's, and I have often found this to be the case and so at this moment I sit in some trepadation awaiting the third 'thing'.

Around three weeks ago now I had one of those light bulb moments where it was all coming together. A friend and I had spent an hour, maybe an hour and a half prospecting a pool that the previous year had held fish in similar low, clear water conditions. I've never persevered much after dark but the conditions were just too good to give up, clear, cool but not cold, no moon in site and frogs by the truck load around the riffles.

Insert Image:

105.1 KB

So instead of going back to bed we dragged down through a rapid to fish the head of another pool. After having tried various offering the ubiquitous 3/8 ounce black, jointed jitterbug went on and 5 casts later in a narrow but deep section there was an implosion in the dark. Slow winding nothing, all went still, would she come back.... A second implosion, lift the rod, nothing, I mean really nothing Had the knot given? 3 winds, 5 winds, wait a second, weight, I was on. Well the rest is all the normal stuff and a well conditioned 500FL came up to say hello.

Insert Image:

45.96 KB

Insert Image:

57.89 KB

However I digress the real point of this story is what happened 45 minutes later when the first of the 3 things went wrong. A big boof and I saw my mates Halco nightwalker dissapear (glow in the dark bib) and it was on. All is looking good until, in slow motion there was a bit too much high sticking and the solid 450+ Bass decided to go straight under the canoe. The rod went from 45 degrees, to 90 and I think at around 180 or more as I was trying to get the words 'follow it' out my nice little 3 piece rod went 'bang'. I had always heard that that could happen, though never seen it. Oh well, fish still on so up she came and now I am really keen not to have her and the lure and the rod tip get away (here comes thing 2) so my friend leans back I lean forward, we both tilt to the right and all of a sudden I get the sensation of 'swimming'. We both ended up in the drink in the pitch black in 6 foot of water with a bass still swimming around our ankles. Nothing dropped into the water so I grab the line bring her up and put her into our recently formed live well. I think the photo shows it all (look closely :o)).

Insert Image:

75.99 KB

A couple of snaps and we call it quits and head home as drowned rats with 3 firsts. A 500 FL after dark, I have witnessed a rod break from 'high sticking' and tipped out of a canoe on a dead still pool (let alone in the pitch black).

Insert Image:

51.28 KB
The Culprit

So, broken rod, fell out of the canoe, so now, where's the third bad thing...

Bloomy

Edited by - Bloomyaway on 27/10/2013 12:40:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000