Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Fuji Rod Builders Workshop
 Rod Modding ( Beginners) UPDATED !!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ito_man
Ausbass Member

Australia
151 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  00:51:14  Show Profile  Click to see Ito_man's MSN Messenger address Send Ito_man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Modifying/ restoring the bottom section of rods..

so i got myself a second hand battler sparrow spin

some warrior cut about 3 1/2 inches of the butt off to make the handle shorter and glued the butt cap on 90 degrees in rotation to the original place..god only knows why some one would do this to a 500 buck rod...
so i looked at it and new id faced a simular problem with a heartland-z rod...the bottom cork handle looked very "holey" and weak...so im going to share with u guys how to restore lenth to ur favourate rod..

the following tutorial will include

- removal of the old cork / hyperlon grip and butt cap
- (optional) how to make a split grip
- shaping the grip
- setting the grip in

so heres wat the sparrow looks like now...

1. slice the cork off the grip down wards towards the but cap (start from mid way up the handle)..
keeping in mind u dont wanna hack or chop it with a knife...i used a hobbie knife...

try not to hit the blank of the rod as ull damage the blank

2. once u got most of the glue off.....by pushing down on the butt cap...its should pop off....if not try digging some more glue out of it.....once thats done....clean up the butt cap...

3. i used a drill press to hold my cork grip with a 12mm drill bit with tape on it......once the cork handle starts spinning grab a strip of sand papper and start shaping.... once it sits flush with the butt cap and reel seat ur ready to prep the blank..

4. cut the bottom end off a old rod....make sure it can slide onto the blank at the end of ur project rod and has the required lenghth needed.. make sure it fits on tight....

5. using arildite 5min quick set glue the blank section to ur project rod...

6. slide ur cork grip on ...if its loose bulk it up by putting tape on the blank...

7. once uve done that making sure ur butt cap is clean
glue the butt cap on

DONE !!

Edited by - Ito_man on 18/02/2011 22:06:56

timax
Ausbass Member

315 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  22:28:30  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This should be good. I have always thought you need to slide the grip down from the tip which can't be done with the guides on. I look forward to seeing how its done. Thanks Ito man.
Go to Top of Page

Ito_man
Ausbass Member

151 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  23:59:03  Show Profile  Click to see Ito_man's MSN Messenger address Send Ito_man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
by the way does anyone here own a sparrow? if so can u give me the exact messurement of the cork? ive asked just about everyone i know =s
Go to Top of Page

Scales
Ausbass Member

560 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  08:48:31  Show Profile Send Scales a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try PMing Pukka he is a Daiwa rod nutter.

Nick
Go to Top of Page

wazzabikes
Ausbass Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  16:20:19  Show Profile Send wazzabikes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info... great job ito man
Go to Top of Page

Bass-tard
Ausbass Member

22 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  23:08:37  Show Profile Send Bass-tard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What sort of reel would that be? Been thinking about rod refurbishing, good info thankyou.
Go to Top of Page

Dishley
Ausbass Member

1657 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  20:18:39  Show Profile Send Dishley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great post, don't know how I missed it the first time round. Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

Ito_man
Ausbass Member

151 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  22:46:39  Show Profile  Click to see Ito_man's MSN Messenger address Send Ito_man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
srry for the late reply guys but no probs btw bass its a daiwa luvias 1003 extremly light
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000