Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Fuji Rod Builders Workshop
 Getting guides straight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pat
Ausbass Member

Australia
75 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  17:36:34  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heys guys does anyone have any tips for me about marking out your guides so they're nice and straight,isthere some sort of jig that I could knock up at home for it ? I was thinking about using a router with a cone shaped tip to cut a nice straight v down a bit of 4x2 so I could sit the blank in it and mark a line straight down it if anyone has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated
cheers pat

Edited by - pat on 17/11/2010 17:38:10

4angler
Ausbass Member

111 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  09:04:49  Show Profile Send 4angler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read and found in practise that you can adjust the guides after you have done the binding.
Bind the guides up roughly in line , and before you put thread sealer on , gently massage the guide into final alignment.
It does work.( to prove it to yourself , bind a guide on a scrap piece of dowel or similar)
I dont bind the rings too tightly and that also helps.The strength comes once the thread filler and epoxy has been applied.

To align >>>>>
I also use a very thin fibreglass rod to put through all the guides with the rod guides facing upwards , once all rings aligned the thin rod sits at the bottom of each guide.This can also be done with some fairly heavy mono line if doing a long rod. Tie it off somewhere on the butt run through guides, and tension up to near tip with tape etc.
I have thought about using a laser pointer , but that might be over kill.

hope this helps

Glad to hear someone else building rods , I have two on the go at moment , a small spin rod for tight creeks , a 6"6 rod cut down from a 7"2" ian miller squidgy stick to use with SP for flathead.
Go to Top of Page

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  19:05:03  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
gun sight them against a light coloured wall is the best wayget em close as you can bind them on & check / adjust them by gun sighting, basically done by looking down along the blank & tweeking the alignment until they are rightstarting with the stripper guide to center of reel seat then working down the blank.
Go to Top of Page

SkyeWarrior
Ausbass Member

353 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2010 :  19:39:05  Show Profile Send SkyeWarrior a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Pat, Beats has the good oil. One final check I also do is once I'm happy with them by sight, I check it from above/behind with the guides underneath. I found that this compensates for blanks that aren't perfectly straight. If you need to push the guides around, it also seems to work best by pushing the foot rather than the ring.

Of course, having the guides dead straight doesn't mean jack when the rod pops of the rotisserie an hour or so into the epoxy drying, and you forget to recheck it before setting it going again . My favourite rod has three of the middle guides slightly skewed to the right, but doesn't really affect it that much.

Stevo
Go to Top of Page

pat
Ausbass Member

75 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  13:54:25  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the replies guys these ideas are really helping me out, most people have been telling me the same as what you guys have said with adjusting the guides after binding and before epoxying but the stand out tip was to check them from above and behind im just waiting for my handles and guides to come in then ill be starting ill let you all know how it goes,thanks again for all the advice
cheers pat
Go to Top of Page

steve duff
Ausbass Member

18 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  18:33:25  Show Profile  Visit steve duff's Homepage Send steve duff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
pat,
If your building a few a helpful tool is to get an old reel and cut the reel stem of. place it in the reel seat to use it as a sighter for your guides. as the rest of the guys said, bind them on and move them into position starting with the stripper. just make sure there are no burs left on the guides feet that can either cut the underbind or scratch the blank that could weeken it after grinding.
Go to Top of Page

pat
Ausbass Member

75 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2010 :  15:14:24  Show Profile Send pat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks steve,just my luck i threw out an old reel about a month ago just before i decided i'd have a go at building! so you think that i should underbind aswell?
Go to Top of Page

beats
Ausbass Member

657 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2010 :  19:32:55  Show Profile Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
on light rods its only really nessasary (& thats even if you want to) to underbind the stripper guide.
like steve said when you clean up your guide feet & file the ends make sure there are no burrs that can scratch or dig into the blank or you will have a multi piece rod in no time as soon as it gets a good load up.
Go to Top of Page

steve duff
Ausbass Member

18 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2010 :  22:57:37  Show Profile  Visit steve duff's Homepage Send steve duff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Pat,
As greg said, underbind your stripper on light rods and all guides on heavier rods. Find an old reel you'll find it helps.
Go to Top of Page

wazzabikes
Ausbass Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  16:28:39  Show Profile Send wazzabikes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the tips
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000