Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sponsors and Competitions
 Fuji Rod Builders Workshop
 Micro Guide SPIN & Baitcast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timax
Ausbass Member

Australia
316 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  10:23:16  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to have a rod building section here. Bass rods in Australia, to me at least, are different to most off the rack rods available these days and so are ripe for the home hack custom builder.
Lakes and boat fishing aside , i'm a fan of short rods. Bass fishing to me is like hunting small game in a forest rather than a cow in a field and so a short rod for accurate casting from a canoe or kayak is my weapon of choice. Fishing becomes "target shooting". Hooking a fish is the reward for an accurate cast. Its 3 sports rolled into 1 for me. kayaking , target casting and fishing.

After breaking my old faithful a couple of months back I have been reading up on the latest trends and collecting suitable parts to make a few rods . These are .... A 5'4" baitcaster to go with a low profile reel. A 5'4" spin rod and a couple of retro style pistol grip rods to be used with my collection of old Abu reels.

Being a fan of LOOMIS and because they have just stopped supplying the custom builder I chose the IMX sj6400 rated at 2 to 6 pound which sounds light but I know these blanks have plenty of power in the butt for all but the biggest of bass. For my retro rods I have found some hollow glass blanks from a small maker in Japan.

Components include , Fuji Ti micro guides , Matagi trim rings , Fuji reel seat on the baitcaster and an Andrews seat on the spin.
Micro guides are nothing new in Europe but for us, we tend to follow the Yanks and they are just starting to get into them. These guides are around 3 to 4mm and the trend is to use the same size for all guides on a baitcaster and for all but a couple on a spin rod. Having guides so small gets the line under control faster and makes for a lighter , better action rod. Negative will be the need for a slim leader knot.
So my progress so far has just been to glue up the seats and grips. After seeing how small the guides really are and the fact that my eyes have deteriorated since I last built a rod I won't be going any further until I find a decent magnifier.

The Andrews grips on the spin rod have been shortened from standard and still has the plastic on it in this shot.

And for the retro rods ...

Edited by - timax on 06/03/2010 10:26:41

nutter
Ausbass Member

1332 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  12:15:04  Show Profile  Visit nutter's Homepage Send nutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

I have been looking into these micro's aswell. I read somewhere that they are better with mono than braid (casting wise) I was looking (still might) at building one for surface lures where Ive gone back to using mono. This way there is no leader needed, 12lb-20lb straight through bepending on where im fishing.
Go to Top of Page

steve duff
Ausbass Member

18 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  11:00:39  Show Profile  Visit steve duff's Homepage Send steve duff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timax And Nutter, micro guides are relatively new to us here in aus but as you mention in europe and japan they have been around for quite a while. if your going to use them, then you have but 2 choices,
1. use mono straight thru.
2. tie extreemly thin leader knots.
as we have a love of braid here in aus the micro's are only going to be able to be used on the lightest finness rods with light braid and leader. the advantages however are you keep the natural action of the blank because of the weight of the guides is decreased.
with a lot of japanese brands coming into the country at the moment with micro's i find thru the shops that i deal with that i am buisy changing these for more traditional 6's and 7's.
but they do have purpose.
hope this helps, steve duff.
Go to Top of Page

Strewth
Ausbass Member

52 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  12:53:09  Show Profile Send Strewth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timax, where did you source the reel seat for the spin rod from? How long was the front grip before you shortened it? I like this style of reel seat very much, as I hate hanging onto plastic thread!
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  13:33:45  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve. . I have gone with 4's over 3's because of the knot. We will see! Might be a disaster but have to try these things.
Strewth , the Andrews seat is through Matagi in Japan. The fore grip is 45mm and its the rear I trimmed to 110mm from 150mm. The seat looks very nice but with the light alloy thread I would just go for a Fuji if it was going anywhere near the salt. Have a look at the Matagi online catalog .
Go to Top of Page

Strewth
Ausbass Member

52 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  19:35:39  Show Profile Send Strewth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Timax. Do Fuji make a similar reel seat? And do reel seats with the screw-down foregrips have a name?
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  22:18:08  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No they don't but they do a IPS style seat which is probably better anyway. My Millerod uses this type of seat. You can use the KDPS hood with a pre shaped grip over it . The rear is pre shaped also . Have a look here.. http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Graphite_4
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  21:32:57  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got my new Bait cast rod finished. 5'4" with seven micro's plus tip. Fantastic.. Didn't change my leader knot and found no problems with it being too big. Fewer tip tangles with them also and my paddle does not catch on them like my old rod. Very happy. Just need a Bass on the end of it now.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

nutter
Ausbass Member

1332 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  21:40:47  Show Profile  Visit nutter's Homepage Send nutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bumping this thread to see if there is any feed back on your set up.
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  19:53:59  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Work and travel has allowed only 2 outings for me this season. First was a casting exercise (no Bass) and second trip just before xmas landed a 35cm fit and healthy Bass that was one of those great ones you always remember. Only 1 fish so far for the season!!!! This time last year I would have been in triple figures !!Good grunt down low on this blank for this size fish but will still throw a Siglet as far as I want. Good small river rod. Need to finish the spin stick now.
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  19:58:51  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot one trip ........about 10 or so little fella's and a couple of 25ish cm fish. So the season hasn't been that bad!
Go to Top of Page

nutter
Ausbass Member

1332 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  22:53:47  Show Profile  Visit nutter's Homepage Send nutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did you find the retro handles?
Go to Top of Page

timax
Ausbass Member

316 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  23:18:21  Show Profile  Visit timax's Homepage Send timax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebay. Haven't used any yet. I like the blue one in the hand best although the black handled featherlite is the best quality. Sizes up best with about an Abu 2500 rather than a 1500 so a tad large for me.
Go to Top of Page

wilbur
Ausbass Member

193 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2012 :  20:37:55  Show Profile  Visit wilbur's Homepage Send wilbur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timax, I'm also a big fan of short rod's, there seems to be a gap in the "off the shelf" market for light, short, skinny water, kayak friendly rods.

I have a question that you or Steve may be able to answer, did you keep the spacing of the guides equal or at shorter intervals than a traditional rod ? I am just wondering; due to the low clearance of the guides off the rod blank, if a bigger guide spacing was used closer to the butt end, would the line foul on the blank when the rod was loaded up with a fish on ?

I only ask out of interest, I have a few custom rods, all of which I have payed someone else to build for me and I really enjoy the whole process of designing and "engineering" of a purpose built rod. One day I might have a go of building one myself, scary thought though, it'd probably end up in the shed with all my other half finished projects !!!

hope you've getting a few bass on your this season, cheers

wilbur
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000